Bank of Tourism Potentials in Slovenia (BTPS) promotes networking of ideas and their realisation oportunities in (Slovene) tourism arena. This is our Travel blog, where we will try to find different people willing to write about Slovenia and Slovenian tourism potentials. All in the name of even better tourism for which our Bank of Tourism Potentials is struggling 24/7. Stay tuned to BTPS and stay tuned to series of live reporting from Slovenian tourism scene!


August 14, 2010

The oldest Slovenian town

Adam McRae, the winner of StormIt challenge (more pictures and comments)

"After hanging out with my young Slovenian tour guides in Murska Sobota, I have some new plans. Apparently there is a really cool venue in Ljubljana to see some of the many live bands, I forget what it is called, but if I look it up I'm sure I will recognize the name. Also, the tourism people told me about a hostel called Celica, which is a converted prison. It is sort of an artist enclave, so I definitely have to make time to stay there for a night. My friends knew about this place as well, so that is a good sign. One of the kids, Rok, was wearing a tshirt from 'Metal Camp', a Slovenia metal and rock music festival held every year. It is in June, so I missed it this year, but apparently it is huge and you can bring a tent to camp there. I saw the list of bands on the back of his shirt, and there was no shortage of awesome artists. So maybe next year I will have to come back.

On my list of things to do for this trip, I have added the town of Piran. This is on the coast, and will be the first stop for Jocelyn and I before we start the meat of our adventure. It will be a relaxing place for her to overcome the jet lag.

As for right now, I am sitting at the edge of the river Drava in Ptuj. This is a pretty little town with a nice old downtown (apparently the oldest in Slovenia). The Ptuj castle overlooks the city and the river, inside is a museum (only 2.5 euro for student admission). There is lots of furniture and old tapestries, and a pretty interesting section on tracking the lineage of the castle's residents. My hotel is across the pedestrian bridge (if you know me, then you know I love pedestrian anything). The hostel I orginally found online was booked solid, full of Italians and polish people... Something to do with holidays in those countries.

It was more lively than I expected at night time, with bars all full of people and music filling the streets. And this morning there was tents and tables being set up for... Fisherman's festival? I don't know what it is about, but the tents all say 'Laško', so how bad could it be? Haha. It starts at 3pm, so I will make sure too check it out. It will be hard to avoid anyway.

We'll see what happens. I have no place to stay tonight, and I think all the hotels are full. If this festival is good, I might just stay anyway. I can always sleep under a tree, or maybe some nice person will take me home. Or maybe I will hop on the train to the next town down the tracks. It rained last night, so I think the sky will be all out of water. This always makes things that much more managable."

No comments:

Post a Comment