Bank of Tourism Potentials in Slovenia (BTPS) promotes networking of ideas and their realisation oportunities in (Slovene) tourism arena. This is our Travel blog, where we will try to find different people willing to write about Slovenia and Slovenian tourism potentials. All in the name of even better tourism for which our Bank of Tourism Potentials is struggling 24/7. Stay tuned to BTPS and stay tuned to series of live reporting from Slovenian tourism scene!


August 29, 2010

Small country sarcasm

Adam McRae, the winner of StormIt challenge (more pictures and comments)

"I got super rained on yesterday. Bleh, it had to happen sometime. I left my friend's place to go to Trnfest and got caught in the thick of it. But it's my own fault. The sky was giving enough warning signs. Tonight's events take place inside, so are unaffected. There are still lots of people. The next night is a Canadian punk band, so fingers crossed for no rain again.

I think my friends may be going to Croatia this weekend. I have avoided car travel as much as possible, but it is hard to turn down a free ride. It will also complete the set for visiting all of Slovenia's immediate neighbors. That seems like something the tourism office would be ok with. I am interested to hear what they have to say about my exploits over the past few weeks.

I love the 'small country sarcasm' that is built into the people here. They think it's great and also funny that I have been here for so long. They say I could see Slovenia in a day if I tried. I always get a chuckle out of them as they list off things I should see and I keep saying that I've already been there.

Everybody waits for the little walk/don't walk signal at traffic lights, even if the street is empty. It's cute. Little things like that make me smile.

I met some nice people who let me sleep at their place last night. It's the real Adam way to purposely not book a bed as to push fate in the direction I want. I don't need much, and can rely on the kindness of strangers. I'm probably supposed to be spending more money, right? What's the point of tourism if the tourists don't buy anything. Sorry, Slovenia, you already got all of my money, I've got bills to pay back on the other side of the Atlantic ocean, too.

I have so many emails exchanged back and forth with Slovenian people I have met so far. And not just a 'hello, nice to meet you, bye' kinda thing. Genuine interest in my trip and helpful suggestions on what to see. And people inviting me to stay at their place when I just met them. It's amazing how friendly these people are. I don't know what makes them that way. I think it goes back to the small country thing I was talking about before. A kind of built-in modesty, Canada is like this as well. I think we are not so different. But this is the kind of thing that I wanted to see and document more than the physical sights. The people are the important part to me."

No comments:

Post a Comment